Friday, November 4, 2011

HBCU Homecomings!

It's that time of the year again! It's time for my alma mater, THE University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff''s (UAPB)  homecoming! What does this mean you ask? Well, it means turkey legs, the best half time show on earth, old friends, new faces, and lots of parties and vast alcohol consumption. lol But lets not lose focus here, with the amount of money donated to different campus activities and departments, the job opportunities that alumni bring back to the students, and the impact that we have on the community, homecoming is about so much more. Its a value adding opportunity for the alumni to help enrich the university.

Many of you may not be aware of the significance of the HBCU homecoming, but let me try to explain.

HBCUs, or Historically Black Colleges and Universities, have a rich tradition and history not only in the Black community, but in socieity and neighboring communities as well. So much pride is shown in representing your school and the rivalries amongst other HBCUs are like no other. Yet, when dealing with opposition from those "other" schools, we come together and show HBCU love.

I feel as if my HBCU experience better prepared me for the real world. I learned to stay on top of my business, especially dealing with financial aid and record keeping, I learned how to deal with diversity on my team (not all HBCU students are black ya know), and I learned how to network! I had so many opportunities presented to me due to the fact that a lot of companies start their recruiting at HBCUs and we have the first hand at amazing opportunities. I gained valuable friendships that will last a lifetime. I met people that I never really got to know, and when I moved away we ended up in the same city and became good friends. I met people that no matter where I travel, I always have friends there from school. Because we are EVERYWHERE! And I met amazing professors and instructors that I still call and update about my professional progress, or I can call when I need anything.

So when October or November rolls around every year, and I log on to Favebook and Twitter, I am reminded that the Holiday of homecoming is quickly approaching and I better dot my i's and cross my t's and get ready! There is nothing like it. HAPPY HOMECOMING!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment